How to Evaluate Low Back Pain [From a PT]

Part One of the Low Back Pain Evaluation series

This one is a bit long, but hopefully useful. Apologies on the camera focus, my T6i autofocus is apparently terrible. I’ll fix it in the next videos.

How a Physical Therapist treats Low Back Pain [Evaluation]

Work with everyone to the first video in the series for "How a physical therapist treats low back pain. I'm Nick Helton, aka Dr.Nick.DPT and today, I'm going to take you through a physical therapy evaluation, from start to finish.

This is going to be a multiple part series, where I dive in depth into how I evaluate, treat, and help patients get back to living their lives.

Before I begin, do me a quick favor and smash that like button and, subscribe...for the algorithm. Let's move on.

One of the common narratives I hear from people is that they didn't know physical therapists treat the spine. Some are genuinely surprised by that.

But the truth is PTs see a wide range of musculoskeletal conditions, including the spine.

Up to 80% of the US population will experience low back pain (LBP) or lower extremity pain (LEP) at least once in their lifetime.These conditions are common reasons for physician visits. Acute LBP is usually a self-limited condition. Most patients will experience symptomatic resolution irrespective of treatment.3,4 Although current guidelines recommend nonpharmacological and conservative measures,5 the costs of care associated with LBP and LEP remain significant. In 2013, spinal conditions, defined as both neck and back pain, accounted for the third largest portion of total national health spending after diabetes and ischemic heart disease.

As it is such a costly and common issue, I believe it's important to understand more about low back pain, and hopefully clear up some false narratives surrounding the topic.

I'm going to be as thorough as I possibly can here, but full disclaimer: I can't hit EVERY single thing. Please understand that not every evaluation is the same, humans vary, and unique circumstances happen. This is going to cover what I consider fundamentals.

USEFUL LINKS

Online coaching Week Low Back Rehab REFERENCED

Maher C, Underwood M, Buchbinder R. Non-specific low back pain. Lancet. 2017;389(10070):736-747. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(16)30970-9

Dieleman JL, Baral R, Birger M, et al. US spending on personal health care and public health, 1996-2013. JAMA. 2016;316(24):2627-2646. doi:10.1001/jama.2016.16885

Atlas SJ, Deyo RA. Evaluating and managing acute low back pain in the primary care setting. J Gen Intern Med. 2001;16(2):120-131. doi:10.1111/j.1525-1497.2001.91141.x

Dunn KM, Croft PR. Epidemiology and natural history of low back pain. Eura Medicophys. 2004;40(1):9-13.

Recommended Reading >> bit.ly/32kRpzw

Comments